Monday, April 11, 2011

Slovakia: Day Time

Well, spring is in full bloom here with long forgotten fountains finally bubbling around the city, tourist groups following the lady with a stick, cafes littering into the cobble stoned streets, and flowers everywhere! The weather has been unpredictable, still cold in the mornings and evenings but can get up to 70+ in the middle of the day...or it might stay around 60 and be windy...or rain...you never know in the spring time (apparently)!

Unfortunately, I have been kind of out of commission this week as I am deathly ill with a little cold turned into giant sinus and chest infection. But I still managed to go out this weekend and attend our new Sunday brunch club tradition...of course now I am home sick from work because I pushed it a bit too much and the infection got all angry...but hey, fun was to be had!

The "weekend" started on Wednesday with an open invite to friends for a relaxed mid week wine party at our house...which didn't end until midnight. Thursday I stayed in trying to recover from this cold that won't go away, but Friday and Saturday we ventured to our usual places with a few new ones thrown in. And as always, greeted the sun in the morning;) It would appear that I have made friends here guys! Sunday brunch I looked around at our little "family" and was so happy to have met all of these lovely people here. After brunch my girls took me to the mall to get me some antibiotics and amazing Mexican food for a late lunch (still not as good as the real thing, but damn close!) and I just felt so loved.

Sunday afternoon walking home from brunch I snapped a few pictures of our now sunny city for all of you and of the area our flat is in so you can have a look...it was Sunday so things were substantially quieter then usual (seriously, EVERYTHING shuts down here on Sunday's) but you get the idea.

 My friend Phil and I in front of the opera house, this is right by all of the restaurants and bars we go to...and the cute tourist groups;) 

I walk by these kooky statues almost everyday and just now decided to be a tourist just for all of you! There are a few more I'll try and do for you too...

Remember this is where the ice skating used to be in front of? Now its spring time and full of musicians, families, cafes, everything!

The fountain is finally on!

Cute cafes...

St. Michael's Gate...


There are many of these weird guys around the city, but this is the only one whose hands have been repaired 100 times. 

In the winter I thought this was an abandoned old dirt lot...apparently it was a beautiful park the entire time!


This is my street! Usually its FILLED with people because this street is lined with great shopping and restaurants and is pedestrian only...the trams are the only things allowed. 


 The cafe I live above...

Random awesome traditional Slovak dancers at the mall!

We are trying to book our trip for Easter break, looks like Turkey is the best option with Budapest and Prague as a valid back up plan. Lets cross our fingers for Turkey though...all inclusive with sun, beach, drinks, and relaxation please!

From Slovakia with love!

3 comments:

  1. Esther love your new n neighborhood. You are so enjoying yourself. Your friends have been your life line. Great pics with the statues, love that. Everything is so much brighter with the sun in the pic too. Sounds like your weather is about like Tennessee or Maryland. We're just getting into the 60's in the last 2 days. What a relief to have some warmth and turn the heat off and open some windows for fresh air in the house. Take care my girl. Love you Titi Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love the random dancers and the restaurant below your apartment. What a cool place to live, like something out of a movie.

    ReplyDelete