Thursday, January 13, 2011

Adventures at the Doctors...

Just a pretty building by the medical office in the city. The sun and blue skies made my life!

So the government here requires that everyone have a medical exam before getting any residence or work permits. My room mates told me a bit about it, but not much. I didn't quite know what to expect but...it was weird. To say the least.

We began at the office that does the exams solely for foreigners trying to get permits. All of the nurses were so cute and nice and friendly, and my secretary from school was my translator but doesn't speak that well of English so it was a lot of...handing me the a little vile I didn't know was a pee cup and saying "you. go. in. there. (points to bathroom)"...um...ok?

And then I have to get blood taken but I dont speak Slovak and cant tell them that I have tiny veins and to be careful so of course the right arm doesn't work and she has to go on the left arm too. Takes 4 vials. I am feeling woozy. They keep asking me "are you ok?! Are you ok? You want water?" and then when I walk out back into the waiting room blood starts dripping down my arm and everywhere!!! So that happened.

I just had a chat with a Slovak lady who spoke great English about my health really quick afterwards and then we had to go get my chest X rayed to check for TBat the hospital across the street. The "hospital" doesnt look at all like our hospitals! Its all these old pretty buildings centered around a little court yard that makes you feel all cute and sweet...until you go inside and its so old and creepy that you feel like your in a horror movie. And theres an old man on a rolling bed who looks dead right where you walk in to the tiny hall way to check in. Then you wait for like 30minutes. Then the secretary tells me to go into this little room and points to my top and whispers "take off in there". Um...ok? So I tried to leave my bra on, but when the MAN opened the next door to let me into the x ray room he says "take off".

So I had to walk topless into this huge room with a little x ray machine with a MAN who pushed me up against a plate to take the picture.

I would think I would have been more upset about the whole affair, but afterwards I had to go right back to work so I just noted it as something for the blog and was on my way.

So that was weird.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your first real experience with social medicine not being a tourist. Scary to say the least. I hope they used a new needle!
    No gown for your xray ? nothing ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO GOWN. NOTHING. It was so weird! My right arm is all sore and bruised too:(

    ReplyDelete