Monday, January 10, 2011

New Management

Totally what the kids at my school look like in their cute little uniforms...except ADD a fancy jacket. 
And smiles....because this is kind of creepy. 

I guess over the break major changes took place at the school I am now working at. The director, and my friends aunt, I think is having some health issues and/or the role as director (head mistress) was just wearing on her too much. So she merged with this British group called the Chamberlain Group who come in and take over private schools and make them awesome. So we have a new director and board of directors who are all British based and very nice. We met them today, it was big news for everyone although the rest of the staff weren't surprised. The board and new director all come from education backgrounds so although some it it has to do with how to make the school more money, most if it is really all about the kids. The best part was that they are now going to be strictly enforcing the dress code for the students...so the upper school kids are wearing full on jackets and pants/skirts and shirts with ties while the lower school has a variation of this. My kids don't wear uniforms because, lets face it, they'd have jam and paint on them in like 2 seconds. Either way, its like straight out of a movie my friends!

THE BEST PART was when he discussed maybe opening up an opportunity for students to take on leadership roles within the school...I was thinking like a student council...but then he said "like a head boy or girl...or maybe a prefect system" and I almost DIED thinking of Harry Potter!!! So I guess what I am trying to say is that, YES, I now work at a variation of Hogwarts. They also mentioned having the staff be professionally dressed which has never been an issue for me since...lets face, this girl loves to get dressed everyday, but now that I am in preschool where the paint goes a flyin, I am allowed to wear casual everyday...so thats new. I would normally just ignore the "you can dress casual" thing from a school since I firmly believe that dressing professionally as a teacher sets the tone for the entire class...but...I had to work really hard to not get stuff from the kids on my cute dress today, running around in heels is impossible no matter how comfortable mine are, AND I spend 80% of my day on the floor doing circle time, lessons, or playing with the kids. Not so easy in a dress and tights.

From what I know about the private British school system, they are going to seriously whip this school into shape...seems things have been quite unorganized and weird within the admin part of the school up until now, I would even venture to use the word inefficient. SO having some kick ass management to sort everyone out and get things running smoothly I think will be in everyones benefit. I think without difficulty they will be able to make my school THE go to private school in Bratislava. They are even talking about setting up an exchange program with the other British schools in the system for teacher professional development- how amazing would that be?!

The new director flys in for the week from Yorkshire, England (his accent is so cute) and home for weekends to be with his family. Crazy.

Ok...now I really am going to bed.

LOVE.

1 comment:

  1. Wow ! You have done so much already and you haven't even been there a week yet !!
    I'm so proud of you and your go get 'em attitude. I look forward to more pics and hearing about how the new administration handles the school.
    If it were here the staff would all be grumbling and complaining. How are they handling it there?
    Love and miss you so much. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

    ReplyDelete