Saturday, January 8, 2011

Arrival: Slovakia

After emailing my parents and love upon arriving, I was just TOO tired to post before scarfing down some real food and falling into bed. So here we are bright and early Saturday morning as I write to you from Bratislava, Slovakia!  I am here! I am here! I am here!

The trip itself wasn't too horrible...having travelled so much everything has just become routine. Having not slept the night before + sleeping pill = woke up and was in London! Hooray! However, we were late leaving LAX so we had to run across the airport to make it to our flight to Vienna on time. Luckily we made it just in time...but our luggage wasn't so lucky. They are delivering our bags to our flat today...any minute now actually, but I had enough in my carry on so I am fine. Ok seriously friends, I hardly waited in any lines the ENTIRE trip! No line for check in...super fast security...no line for customs in Vienna (unheard of!)...it was amazing! After we didn't get our baggage we had to take a bus to Bratislava and then another bus to our flat. They aren't really buses...they are like trolleys that run on lines. My new roomies helped me get a ticket and everything, today we are going to get a month bus pass for 30euro.

It seems like everything is about a 20min away trolley ride from our flat...the school where I will work, the huge wal mart like grocery store Tesco, Ikea, the city center...etc. But we also have a bunch of little things within walking distance...bakery, craft/school supply store, a few small groceries, gym, etc. So I should be set. They said food is REALLY cheap here...thank goodness since I have arrived with very little cash until my first pay check.

The Flat:
OMG its HUGE. Probably 2x or more the size of my apartment in socal, and bigger then any apartment I've stayed in while travelling in Europe. We have 3 bedrooms, mine is the smallest and most reminiscent of a jail cell (but I already have redecorating plans galore so stay tuned for that) but its still nice. I already posted pictures my friend had posted when she first moved in here and it looks exactly the same...haha. Except the beds in my room are pushed together and moved a bit. Ill take more AFTER some redecorating.

Today we have plans to get the bus pass and go to Tesco to buy groceries, I am also going to get my phone set up, and try to get a few things I already found I need like...towels, a mirror for my room, lamp,  new pillow, etc.

I have been walking on cloud 9 since I got on the plane. I am SO happy and can't help but feel like I really did make a good decision in coming. Every little thing makes me smile and although I miss my my dears at home already...I cant wait to talk to you and tell you about everything at the same time.

Oh and yes, it IS cold but luckily Slovakia welcomed me with temps of 33F low and 40F highs which I am used to so I am ok. Supposed to rain and maybe snow on and off next week too! I am ready!

Ill try and take lots of pictures today while we are out and about.

Love from Slovakia!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment